There are many ways on how to change the date format in your Microsoft Excel sheets.
Basically, by default Excel follows the date formats according to your date settings in the Control Panel.
If you change the date and format settings, the default date format in your Excel sheets will follow accordingly.
How to change the date format in your Excel sheets?
- Select the cell or a series of rows/columns with a date.
- Right-click and select Format Cells.
- In the pop-dashboard, select the Number Tab.
- Select Date format from the drop-down menu, or.
- Select Custom settings and choose your desired format (e.g. mm/dd/yyyy).
- Click OK.
- You can use the DATEVALUE() function to convert a specific date to a serial number. For example =DATEVALUE(“2/2/2020”).
- Set a different default date and time on your computer.
- Open Control Panel, and select Region and Language.
- In the pop-up panel, click Clock, Language, and Region.
- Next, change the date and time format.
- You will be able to customize based on your preferences.
- You may quickly change the date format in the default formatting area.
- Select the cell you wanted to change the format, and go to Home tab.
- Select the Number group, and click the drop-down menu next to the Number Format box.
- Click the desired format for a short date and long date or time.
Custom date format in Excel.
|Code||Description||Example (January 1, 2020)|
|m||Month number without a leading zero||1|
|mm||Month number with a leading zero||01|
|mmm||Month name, short form||Jan|
|mmmm||Month name, full form||January|
|mmmmm||Month as the first letter||J (stands for January, June and July)|
|d||Day number without a leading zero||1|
|dd||Day number with a leading zero||01|
|ddd||Day of the week, short form||Mon|
|dddd||Day of the week, full form||Monday|
|yy||Year (last 2 digits)||05|
|yyyy||Year (4 digits)||2020|
This is a simple guide for those who wanted to change the date format in Microsoft Excel sheets.
Technopreneur. Foodie. Traveler. A Mozilla Representative in the Philippines particularly interested in earth science, cybersecurity, cloud services, market research, data visualization, and analytics.